Boat swap…

Hoi Larntan is safely delivered to Barton with her paint and brightwork shiny new again. Thanks to all who took time to help with the sanding and painting. Bluejacket, somewhat wet and bedraggled is now back in Barrie’s barn ready for a full re-paint – starting with:

Saturday (tomorrow 23rd) 2 p.m. at Bayfield Brecks, could a good few come please to help to lift and turn her over?  With plenty of hands the job is easy and takes no more than a few minutes. Thanks.

Before we collected BJ, Tom/Alan/Catherine/Amanda and John had had a great row. Alan tells the tale:

“At last the ice cleared so we could row Bluejacket out of Barton Turf.  The predicted rain was expected to fall at midday so a quick get-away was necessary.  Since the forecast wind was gusting 41mph from the South we decided to hide ourselves by setting off up the sheltered River Ant towards Stalham.  We were enjoying the row when the shout went up “black ice”!  Where the water was flowing, the ice had melted but by the riverbanks there was sheet ice.  If we had had a sat nav, I am sure we would have heard “perform a legal u-turn”.

The open broad was clear of ice but had the predicted wind head on.  The effect of the wind could really be felt on the oars during the recovery phase of the stroke let alone increasing the work required to make headway across the broad.  Shelter was gained in Limekiln Dyke where we shared coffee and home-made flapjacks.  The return leg was brisk, not only because the wind was now in our favour, but for fun, we did a series of pyramid power up sessions – just because we could!

As we rowed into Barton Turf, we found the land crew had already secured Hoi Larntan on her pitch and were waiting to tow Bluejacket to Bayfield for some winter care and attention.”

And yes all was completed before the rain fell. (just!  Ed.)

Limekiln Dyke_1.jpg

Limekiln Dyke_7.jpg

Limekiln Dyke_8.jpg

Thanks to the crew who helped after the row and to Rob and Barrie who travelled with me to load and un-load, then re-load the boats.