Equipment (or human) failure…

It would appear that the likely cause of the damage to Bluejacket at the weekend was the failure of the thole pin to snap under pressure – which is what they are intended to do; thereby avoiding damage to the boat. Something we have proved several times in Hoi Larntan!

When we built Bluejacket we tried a system with just a single pin with a wooden locating plate on the oar. For that we needed a much more robust thole pin.

Having, this year, made the decision to standardise both boats and revert to using the pin and kabe set-up which Hoi Larntan has had throughout, we forgot to remove the robust pins from Bluejacket and failed to replace them with sacrificial softer pine ones.

Aaaah, a lesson learnt.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s